Thursday, January 17, 2008


"Reepicheep"
3" by 4"
Oil on Masonite
After an Illustration by Pauline Baynes

Last week, I saw a trailer for the upcoming "Prince Caspian" movie.

Reepicheep, the talking mouse, is going to make or break this film. Needless to say, he's not in the trailer.

So, I did a bit of research on the 'net. Turns out Eddie 'Executive Transvestite' Izzard is doing the voice of Reepicheep.

Again, make or break. I adore Eddie, but I'm very worried about him going over the top with dear, sweet, too-honorable-for-his-own-good Reepicheep.

I'm also worried that they're going to make him the wrong color.

It's not described in Prince Caspian but in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, he is described thusly:

"-- a Mouse on its hind legs and stood about two feet high. A thin band of gold passed 'round its head under one ear and over the other and in this was stuck a long crimson feather. (As the Mouse's fur was very dark, almost black, the effect was bold and striking.)"

I'll bet dollars to donuts he's done up in brown for the movie.

So I painted him right. :)

No comments: