Friday, January 11, 2008


"Mystery Box"
3" by 4"
Oil on Masonite













I saw this today on BoingBoing and just couldn't get it out of my head.

It's a Mystery Box, a sealed cardboard box with a big question mark on it, from Lou Tannen's Magic store in New York.

J.J. Abrams, the producer, director and screenwriter behind Alias, Lost, Mission Impossible III, and the upcoming Cloverfield has one.

He has this to say about it:

"It represents infinite possibility; it represents hope; it represents potential. . . mystery is the catalyst for imagination. . . maybe there are times where mystery is more important than knowledge."

2 comments:

Sam said...

I really, really, like this one, Tara. What inspired this?

Tara Wheeler said...

Ummm. I thought I covered it in the description. . .

I saw it on BoingBong and it just grabbed me.

I try to only paint things that mean something to me.

I can't always do that, but it's important to me that I try.